Tempietto Rossiniano

The Tempietto Rossiniano is located in the seventeenth century Olivieri Palace, purchased by the Rossini Foundation with funds from the inheritance that Giachino Rossini left to the city of Pesaro – named his universal heir. The frescoes in the palace were painted by Gian Andrea Lazzarini (1710-1801, Pesaro) and his students. The room antecedent to the Tempietto Rossiniano (the Marble Room) portrays the birth and historical events of the community of Pesaro. Particularly curious is that the marble effect was actually produced with a technique that uses plaster mixed with colour.
The Tempietto Rossiniano houses the autographs of the works staged for the first time in Naples: Elisabetta, Regina d’Inghilterra (4 October 1815), Otello, ossia il Moro di Venezia (4 December 1816), Armida (11 November 1817), La donna del lago (24 October 1819), Maometto II (3 December 1820), Adina (22 June 1826). With these works is also housed La Petite Messe Solennelle (one version for piano and one version for orchestra) written in 1863 when Rossini was in Paris and presenting its celebrated ironic dedication “to good God”. The Tempietto also houses the entire corpus of the Péchés de Vieillesse, chamber music compositions that Rossini wrote in the last years of his life intended for his own “salon”. Among other manuscripts, one manuscript purchased by the Banca delle Marche is in fact the oldest theatre piece signed by Rossini. This contains an aria to insert in an opera by Luigi Mosca, following the nineteenth-century habit of Rossini’s younger years. The autographed manuscript “Il voto filiale”, a brief canto that Rossini composed for Francesca Gnecco while in Naples in 1820 (Franscesca Gnecco was the daughter of impresario Emanuele Gnecco). The manuscript is well preserved, containing only a few pages with no restoration work.
The Tempietto also houses an album leaf that Rossini reserved as a cadeau for his friends and admirers – “Mi lagnerò tacendo” signed and dated “Gioachino Rossini 1850, Firenze”. This leaf was stored by the Town of Pesaro thanks to the generosity of the owner Ing. Carlo Damerini.
As well as these documents there are also the autographed manuscripts of the Lord. Saint Davids collection purchased together by public and private institutions.
The last autographed manuscript in the collection in chronological order is the Aria di Maometto of the opera Maometto II donated by Bruno Cagli in memory of Wolframo Pierangeli.
One section of the Tempietto is dedicated to the numerous honours and awards that Rossini received in the course of his life from sovereigns, governments and associations around the world.
The upper part of the case houses the letters and images of Rossini and his parents.
The left wall displays Gustave Doré’s painting of Rossini on his death bed.
Next to the Tempietto is a frescoed studio inspired by religious themes alluding to the pacification between Man and God after the original sin and the civil exaltation of peace and justice.