Multimedia

The Rossini Foundation and the Polytechnic University of the Marches have begun to work together to integrate the cultural activities of the Foundation with the research carried out at the university. The convention stipulated with D.A.R.D.U.S. – the Department of Architecture, Relief, Design, Urban Studies and History – aims to valorise, analyse, and create museum space for the historical, artistic and architectural patrimony related to the life and works of Gioachino Rossini through the use of digital technologies, physical and virtual museum exhibition, and online circulation of the results produced by this initiative.
The first result of this cooperative effort is the virtual visit to the Olivieri Palace, property of the Rossini Foundation and seat of the G. Rossini State Music Conservatory and the Foundation itself.

Built in 1749 on the architectural design of Gian Andrea Lazzarini (1710-1801, Pesaro) on commission by the erudite citizen of Pesaro Annibale degli Abbati Olivieri, the Olivieri Palace was purchased by the Government of Pesaro in 1884. In 1892 the palace became the seat of the Rossini Music Lyceum. This new usage of the building required extensive refurbishing to make it functional to its new purpose. At this time the Pedrotti room was built on the right side of the palace for concerts, requiring a widening of the eighteenth-century façade and the creation of a second entry identical to the original designed by Lazzarini that included a stone balcony above the entry way itself.

In the first court-yard there is a bronze statue of Rossini produced in 1864 by Carlo Marocchetti (Turin 1805 – Passy 1867) and relocated to the palace from the gardens of the train station in 1887.

The interior of the palace was frescoed by both Lazzarini and his students. The Marble Room depicts the historical events of the community of Pesaro. Of particular interest is that what passes for real marble is actually produced through a technique of mixing plaster with colour additives. The Tempietto Rossiniano, with its ceiling decorated with images of Pompeii, houses among others the autographed works that debuted in Naples: Elisabetta, Regina d’Inghilterra (4 October 1815), Otello, ossia il Moro di Venezia (4 December 1816), Armida (11 November 1817), La donna del lago (24 October 1819), Maometto II (3 December 1820), and Adina (22 June 1826).
A separate section is dedicated to the numerous honours and awards that Rossini received in the course of his life from sovereigns, governments and associations around the world. This area also houses the daguerreotype by Nadar and a portrait by Gustav Doré.