The Vittorio Gui Collection

In 1975 the maestro Vittorio Gui donated his musical collection to the Rossini Foundation. This included more than four thousand volumes on the primary composers to live between 1600 and the first decades of the twentieth century. Maestro Gui was the progenitor of the Rossini-Renaissance which had its origins in the staging of L’Italiana in Algeri at the Teatro Nuovo di Torino in 1925.

The publications in the Gui collection cover almost the entire history of music from Palestrina, whose opera omnia is present, to Wagner and a rich section dedicated to Johann Sebastian Bach as well as many volumes of compositions by Beethoven and Stravinskij. Many works have been reduced for canto and piano and others are in short-score form. The collection also includes a section dedicated to Gioachino Rossini made up of about thirty works, including Il barbiere di Siviglia, Semiramide, Le comte Ory, La Cenerentola and La donna del lago.